Masale Bhaat

Masale bhaat is a special preparation with spices and vegetables. It reminds me of weddings as it is usually served as the first course in weddings. I made this rice when my daughter was visiting and she made several trips to the kitchen to find out what was cooking. It takes a while to get this done but the end result is so worth it.


Several years back we stopped buying white rice. Today, I cook with every type of rice but white. I considered making an exception for this post but then decided against it. Once you make the switch, white rice tastes like junk food. I stuck with the brown rice and I am glad I did.

You will need
1 cup rice (preferably basmati)
2 small potatoes, diced in cubes
1/2 cup green peas
1/2 cauliflower florets
1 Serrano pepper, deseeded and diced fine
10-15 peanuts
1 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper powder
All of the spice blend given below
salt to taste

For the spice blend
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
3 cloves
1/2 inch cinnamon

For the tempering
3 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
a pinch asafeotida
1 bay leaf, cut into inch pieces
4-5 curry leaves

Wash the rice and drain the water. Keep aside. In a small pan, roast the spices for the spice blend. Grind to a powder and keep aside until needed.


Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan. Add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add the remaining ingredients in the list for tempering.


Next add vegetables, the potatoes, peas and cauliflower, with 2 1/2 cups of water.


When the water comes to a boil add the peanuts, chilli pepper, salt and all the spices.


Next add the drained rice


Cover and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat until all the water is gone and the rice is cooked through.


Turn off the heat. Rice tastes best when hot. Serve with vegetables sides or with papad and pickle.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Wow I love masale bhaat especially with all the spices that go into it..with brown rice this is so much so healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this long back and loved it. I can imagine how good it must have smelled, with all those wonderful spices going into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masala bhaat looks really good with all that masala that went in. It is good to know you don't crave for white rice anymore. I have tried using brown rice a few times but whenever we switched to white rice due to India trips or visitors from India, we always found it difficult to go back to brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cook brown rice for hubby, but I have a blocked mind for a couple of things...LOL..the masala bhat looks very flavorful, a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This masale bhaat looks so nice Varada. It must have tasted awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masala Bhaat looks yummy.. Every time we bring big bag of brown rice for everyday use but I end up using white rice.. Good that you switched to brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried it long time for Maharastria Cuisine in BM, taste delicious. Yours look perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. How delicious and tasty, my mouth is just watering here. I can have this masale bhaat with some spicy pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masale bhat looks flavorful and with brown rice it is healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely co,bination of taste and health!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a flavorful and delicious looking rice dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.