Ganache filled Whoopie-pie

Whoopie pie is a cream filling sandwiched between two cake like cookies. By cake like I mean they taste more like cake even though they are shaped like cookies. This is the last day of my month long baking challenge. I have posted a baked recipe this month every day except Sundays. Most of those recipes used either whole wheat flour or vegetables. I strongly believe in the concept of everything in moderation so this is my last recipe for the month made with all purpose flour and butter.


My daughter is fond of chocolate but not milk chocolate. She prefers bitter or bittersweet high percent cacao. So I thought a chocolate ganache made with 75% cacao would make the perfect filling for these pies. I was right. She loved them. And uncharacteristically had two in one sitting.


For some reason I did not take step-by-step pictures. All I have is the end result.

Recipe source for the cookies is here
You will need (for 12 pies)
For the cookies
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg or equivalent egg substitute
4 tbsp. butter, softened
2 tbsp. oil

For the ganache
2 oz 75% cacao
2 tsp. dark chocolate powder
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
a pinch salt

To make the ganache, bring the cream to a boil and turn off heat. Add the chocolate and the salt and let it sit for a few minutes. Stir to smooth out the mixture and let it cool and thicken.


Meanwhile make the cookies. Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift the flour and combine with all the ingredients until smooth. The dough will be soft. Drop a tablespoon of cookie dough on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Continue to place the cookie two inches apart. I got 12 cookies to a sheet. And I got two sheets. Bake both together in preheated oven for about 7 minutes. Switch the trays and bake another 5-7 minutes or until the cookies are cooked through. Cool on a cooling rack.

Apply a tablespoon of ganache on the flat side of one cookie and place another cookie over the top. Repeat for all the cookies.


Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Pretty whoopie pies,am yet to give a try to this pies.. Chocolate loaded whoopie pies makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had tried these long back but somehow failed...book marking this to refer in future...wonder how many book marks will I work on...It has been a beautiful journey And I have loved all your bakes, super work Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yummy... Am so drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely recipe to end the marathon on a sweet note. Loved all your bakes this marathon, especially those different shaped breads..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Varada, that's one beautifully done bake..enjoyed all your bakes, esp those breads..it was wonderful running along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sinfully delicious & who could resist these chocolate pies. Enjoyed doing this marathon with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great way to end the BM. lovely and cutie pies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking whoopie pies Varada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! what a sinful dessert to end the marathon with! My bookmarks are overflowing, Varada. So many breads to bake from your space. It has been a visual treat this past month as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delectable whoopies!! Can I have some!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect dessert to end a month long marathon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmmm! Varada these are amazing. I do not know why I was thinking of Star wars and Hans Solo. I am bookmaking these to make these asap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.