Mexican Fudge

Fudge is usually a favorite of chocolate lovers. That is true in my house too. What I really like about fudge is that one piece is usually enough to satisfy that chocolate craving. So a small batch lasts for days of gooey goodness.


Mexican fudge has a little secret ingredient - red chili pepper. The pepper gives the fudge a little kick and really brings out the flavor of chocolate. I wanted to make the fudge using the 70% cacao bar we get at Whole Foods but in the end I used Nestle Toll House semi sweet mini chocolate chips.


My Dad was visiting when I made this fudge and as someone who has always enjoyed good chocolate he enjoyed it a lot too.

You will need
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (I used Eagle brand)
3 cups chocolate chips (I used Nestle Tool house semi sweet mini chips)
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp Mexican red chili pepper powder

Prepare a pan by covering it with parchment paper. I used a loaf pan as I wanted square thick pieces.


In a double boiler melt the chocolate chips on medium heat. Add the condensed milk, cinnamon powder and red chili pepper and mix well. If you like a bigger kick add more pepper. Continue to stir for about a minute and you will feel the mixture thickening.


Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Ensure the fudge is spread out evenly and smooth out the top. Let it cool down. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.


Take out the fudge from the pan using the parchment paper as a handle.


Cut it into 1 inch squares. Let them dry out on the parchment paper.


The fudge is done.


Enjoy!

What do you do if it does not set? Don't panic. Put the mixture back on the double boiler and melt it. Add a handful of chocolate chips and another tablespoon of sugar. Mix it well and transfer to the prepared pan to set.

Comments

  1. I want to grab those pieces from my monitor. I was wondering when I saw the main page that whether you gave the fudge that spicy kick or not. :) I made these once and I had to finish all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man those fudge turned out just perfect. Wish I could get my hands on one of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing one..never tried with chili ..will have to make it and check it out!..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fudge looks delicious. I made a Mexican chocolate dessert few years ago & even that recipe called for chili powder. I thought it was interesting. Don't remember if I used it or not .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fudge looks so gooey and tempting..it's true a small piece of this will surely be enough...I can see a whole batch and want to reach out..ah this screen:(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.