Dahi Vada in Appe Pan (Not deep Fried)

We love dahi vada but not the oil absorbed during deep frying. So what is the solution? Do not deep fry the vadas, use you aebleskiver or appe pan instead. With a few drops of oil you get the same deep fried taste and flavor.


Instead of using urad dal for this recipe I used moong dal. I was in a hurry. I decided to make dahi vada at 2 in the afternoon. There was no time to soak the dal so I switched dals and used moong dal instead. Worked out well.


After I had run the soaked dal through the food processor I ran a hand blender through the dal to make it light and fluffy. That and the use of some baking soda helped make the dahi vada soft and light.


I recently invested in an appe or aebleskiver pan. Since then I have tried a few deep fried treats using the pan. So far I have been very happy with the results. You will see many more recipes from me using this pan.

You will need
1 cup moong dal
1 Serrano pepper
1 tsp. baking soda or 1/4 tsp. Eno Fruit salt
1 tsp. paprika
salt to taste

For the dahi
2 cups yogurt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cumin powder

For the garnish
Tamarind dates sweet chutney
cumin powder
paprika

Prepare the dahi and refrigerate. Prepare the sweet tamarind date chutney following the recipe here. If you do not have cumin powder roast cumin seeds until fragrant and grind to a powder.

Soak the dal for at least two hours in warm water. Drain the water and discard. Using as little water as possible grind to a coarse paste in the food processor. Add the other ingredients for the batter and keep it ready. If you are using Eno add it after the pan is heated.


Heat your aebleskiver or appe pan and add a few drops of oil in each of the wells.


Add a tablespoon of the batter in each well of the hot pan.


Let it cook until just browning before flipping it over. Cook the other side.


Remove from heat and soak in cold water for a minute. Pull the vada out of the water and give it a little squeeze to get all the water out.


Add the vada to the prepared dahi. Repeat for all the vadas. To plate this dish put 2-3 vadas with dahi on the plate. Sprinkle paprika and cumin powder over the top. Drizzle the sweet tamarind date chutney. Adjust the flavoring to taste.


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. They are nicely puffed up and look yummy. The hand blender idea was good and certainly this is one guilt free treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dahi vada looks delicious.. I haven't tried in appam pan.. Will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a healthy option with moong dhal..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this low fat dahi vada. I typically use the appe pan for so many low fat versions. I am so going to try the moong dal version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes tje vadas for dahi vada or sambar vada need not be deep fried..I too make it in appe pan when making it for sambar vada..

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely low fat and tempting dahi vada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always use moong dal for dahi vada , using appe pan is a nice idea !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this low fat dahi vada, ur pictures are torturing me now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so inviting and using the appe pan makes it a guilt free snack too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. varada, i like your innovation. can you help me which aebleskiver-pan is good to buy? i saw non stick and cast iron too. dont know which one is good . thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vijaya I have the cast aluminium pan. Cast iron is good too but I wanted something lighter. I would go with either one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.